On Monday morning, militant Armenian separatist forces clashed with the Azerbaijani army, in violation of a humanitarian ceasefire negotiated under Russian leadership and effective on Saturday.
The ceasefire is being fought for in Nagorno-Karabakh. Armenia and Azerbaijan accused each other on Monday, October 12, of carrying out new attacks in and around Upper Karabakh, thereby endangering the fragile. weapons take effect Saturday.
Azerbaijani forces said their military positions were tarnished overnight, while the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh, located in Azerbaijani territory and mostly populated by Armenians, said its forces repelled attacks by the Azerbaijani army. .
The ceasefire, which ended after the marathon negotiations in Moscow led by Russian President Vladimir Putin, had already been surpassed on Sunday after an Azerbaijani bombing of an Armenian regiment in response, according to Baku, to an Armenian rocket attack on a civilian building.
Yerevan denies Azerbaijan accusations and Reuters could not independently verify this information immediately.
Yerevan demands control of the ceasefire
Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov said on Monday that it was very important that ceasefire was respected and that the presidency studied the situation on the ground carefully.
The talks in Moscow were the first diplomatic contact between Baku and Yerevan since fighting broke out on September 27 in the enclave. About 500 people have reportedly been killed since that date.
Armenian Foreign Minister ZohrabMnatsakanyan met with his Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, in Moscow on Monday. He accused Azerbaijan of contributing to the spread of Turkish influence in the region and of urging Proturc mercenaries, which Ankaradément did.
“We want a ceasefire, we want control mechanisms on the ground,” he said, believing they would identify the author of an attack and the camp not respecting the ceasefire.
Meeting with the 27 in Berlin
According to the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense, Armenian forces have repeatedly tried to attack positions around the Aghdere-Aghdam and Fizuli-Jabrail areas. They also continue, the ministry adds, to bomb areas in the Goranboy, Terter and Aghdam regions of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh authorities said their forces had caused the Azerbaijani forces and that major military operations continued in the Hadrut area, which is in the enclave. This information could not be verified independently by Reuters.
Speaking ahead of a planned meeting in Berlin with foreign ministers from EU countries, Luxembourg’s foreign minister, Jean Asselborn, called on Turkey to do more to stem tensions.
“Turkey has not yet called for a ceasefire, and I think it is completely wrong to take that position,” he said.
“I believe that Luxembourg’s message will be an appeal to Turkey, a member of NATO, to help organize a ceasefire quickly,” he added.
>> To see: “Nagorno-Karabakh: an endless war”
Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev has reiterated his call on Turkey to engage in the peace process, which has been under way for several years under mediation by France, Russia and the United States.
The resumption of hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh has raised fears that the decades-old conflict could turn into a major war with Turkey, near Baku and Russia, linked to Yerevan through a defense agreement. The region is also crossed by oil pipelines that are necessary to supply the world’s oil and gas markets.
The new conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan is the most violent since the ceasefire agreement was reached in 1994, which ended a war in which at least 30,000 people died.